Introduction To Point Of Sale System
At least once a week or a month we buy some groceries. Have you noticed the old cash register? That is what we call a point of sale machine or pos machine. What is POS then? This acronym stands for Point of Sale.
A POS system is best illustrated using the grocery scenario above. You first select all the grocery items that you want. You then go to the cashier to pay for your groceries. A barcode reader scans each item for its price. The point of sale software handles the calculation.
You then present your credit card to the cashier. It is then swiped to the debit/credit card reader connected to the cash register. It verifies your credit card info and charges it the price of your groceries. Transaction process goes back to the cash register. You received a receipt as proof of a successful transaction.
This scenario summarizes what a point of sale system is. A POS system applies whenever a merchant and a customer transacts. A POS system has a hardware and a software part. The hardware part is about physical machines. This includes the cash register, card reader, and barcode reader among others.
The software part stores and manages the the transaction records. This is what we’ll be discussing in the next sections. You now know what a point of sale system is. You will also later know the features, benefits, and effects of using a POS application. Then, you will learn the importance of using SecureBox.
What Is A POS Application?
A POS application records the entire transaction between the retailer and the customer. A POS application also handles the calculation process. It then uploads to the network every transaction record.
Here are the features of a POS application:
- Manage sales transactions
- Inventory tracking
- Sales monitoring and reporting
- Employee management
- Customer data management
- Bookkeeping and accounting
- Vendor ordering
- Barcode creation
- Issuing quotations
- Stock transferring
- Debt monitoring
Those are some of the many features of a POS application. The next section talks about the benefits of using a POS application.
The Benefits of Using a POS Application
A POS system is essential in your business or organization. It simplifies and automates many things. Using a POS application provides you with great benefits. Here are some of the benefits you can get using a POS application:
- Transaction accuracy - Handling calculations for various transactions gives you a headache. Using a POS application will simplify and automate the process for you.
- Data analysis - A POS application provides strong analytics and reporting system. It reports if you need to buy items that are low on stock.
- Connectivity - Connecting to other terminals and networks has never been easier. Using a POS application will simplify these networking processes.
- Affordable option - Using a POS application is cheaper than using business software.
- Improves customer service - Customers hate waiting on the line. Using a POS application simplifies things and makes you productive. This leads to better customer satisfaction. A happy customer is likely to go back and buy again your goods.
- Financial reports - You can generate a report about the status of your income and inventory.
These are some of the benefits of using a POS application. You will now know the effects of using a POS application in the next section.
The Effects of Using a POS Application
There are a lot of positive effects in using a POS application. But we can summarize those things into three. Here are the three effects of using a POS application:
1. Accurate results - There is a high level of accuracy in keeping track of stocks. Also in sales reports, bookkeeping, and accounting tasks are all done with accuracy.
2. Consistent pricing - A POS application can help you with the pricing of your goods. This will make your pricing consistent across all your retail stores.
3. Efficient input - Inputting data one by one is prone to mistakes. Automating this process would produce more accurate and efficient results. That is where a POS application can help you.
Now you know the advantages of using a POS application. The next section would cover the importance of securing your POS application.
POS Application Security Measures
Cybercriminals are always on the lookout for security holes. They will scan your network, system, and applications for any sign of vulnerability. You need a security solution to combat them.
SecureBox is an all-in-one solution for your security needs. SecureBox prevents unauthorized access to your system. Here are some of the features that your POS application will get when using SecureBox:
- Application containerization - Your POS application will run inside a secure container. External programs won’t affect it as long as it’s inside this container.
- Memory scraping protection - Malware can stay in your computer’s memory. They wait for you to input sensitive data like your credit card number. SecureBox protects your POS application from this kind of attack.
- Keylogger protection - Whatever you type can also be a target of an attack. SecureBox protects every keystroke you make through its keystroke encryption technology.
- Anti-SSL sniffing - SecureBox prevents the interception and reading of your communication.
- Antimalware - SecureBox offers cloud-based malware detection and removal. Your POS application is safe from various malware threats.
These are some of the best features of SecureBox. These will protect your POS application from any threat.
You now understand what a POS application is. You now also know its benefits, features, and effects of using it. You also learned the importance of using SecureBox to protect your POS application. SecureBox is a great all-in-one security solution. Sign up now for a free demo!